The work of Jasper Johns has greatly influenced my personal love of encaustic and I love any chance I get to see his work in person (this link is a piece I traveled very far to see..) The show Target Practice at the Seattle Art Museum this summer had many wonderful examples of his ability to consistently master the application and layering of encaustic wax. Don't miss this additional local show of sculpture and prints titled Jasper Johns: Light Bulb at The Henry Art Gallery thru Oct. 25, 2009.
Encaustic Wax, An Ancient Medium Rediscovered is on view in the upper gallery at the Watchung Arts Center in Somerset County, NJ on Wednesday September 9th thru Sept. 29, 2009. The show features 18 artists and is curated by Francesca Azarra.
This piece is by Lisa Pressman.
Seattle artist Kristin Swenson-Lintault provides an in-depth study of the beautiful ancient medium of heated pigmented beeswax. Develop the fundamental practices of this dynamic luminescent medium and discover new ways to draw, paint and add dimension to your work.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
- KSL Studio
- Seattle, Washington, United States
- Kristin Swenson-Lintault is a multi-media painter who works at her KSL Studio in Seattle as well as Cornish College of the Arts as the Visual Arts Studios Technician. She earned an MFA in Fiber/Textiles and BA in Fine Art – Drawing at Southern Illinois University, which included residency at Hospitalfield House, a 13C. historic Studio Arts Centre in Arbroath, Scotland to study painting and in Japan/S. Korea to study traditional natural dyes, textile printing, washi papermaking and anagama wood-fired ceramics. She has since traveled to France, Netherlands, Germany, Mexico and Belize to research art, history, and architecture. Her work has been exhibited in juried shows locally, nationally and in Nakajo, Japan, and is featured on the covers of "Translational Perspectives in Auditory Neuroscience" a textbook series by Tremblay and Burkard. Her work is included in the permanent collection at the Brooklyn Art Library in NYC and the Museum of Encaustic Art in Santa Fe, NM. She is currently exhibiting paintings at the Encaustic Art Institute Gallery in Santa Fe, NM. She teaches workshop intensives at her Seattle studio, Cornish College of the Arts and Pratt Fine Arts Center.
- R&F Handmade Paints Inc.
- Oil and Water Art Supply
- Enkaustikos Fine Art Store
- Evans Encaustics
- KAMA Pigments
- Sinopia Pigments
- Rodney Thompson Custom Art Panels
- Laura Tyler's Sister Bee Film
- The Art of Encaustic Painting Book
- Embracing Encaustic Book
- Encaustic Workshop: Artistic Techniques Book
- Joanne Mattera
- Montserrat Encaustic Conference
- International Encaustic Artists
- New England Wax
- Conrad Wilde Gallery